Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Day 14 and 15...

 
Day 14                                                                                                                                    17th October, 2011
Well today was rather crap. It was flooding majorly so school was cancelled… again. And the roads were so flooded we weren’t allowed to leave the hotel. We decided to make the most of it and do our assignments for uni… ALL DAY! This was the worst day this far hahaha… so bored… getting on each others nerves. We gave up, had lunch then got back into it. I managed to start and finish one of my assignments so that is good. We also watch “The Killing Fields” which is a movie based on the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia in the 1970’s. It was a bit of an eye opener and I’m glad we watched it before going to the killing fields in Phnom Penh. Other than this we Skype’d a few people and went to bed.


Day 15                                                                                                                                    18th October, 2011
Today we actually made it to school despite the flood waters which was good seeing as we were ready to kill ourselves with boredom.
We managed to make a fair bit of progress on the mural and it is starting to look amazing. We think, if there are no more interruptions, that we will be able to finish it this week hopefully. The kids are loving the progress at the moment and getting really excited about the finished product… as we are…

After this we had an amazing curry lunch… I don’t think we have eaten so much… we even got the recipe so we can bring it back to Australia and impress everybody with our new found cooking skills. Later on this week we will be doing a cooking course for $3 which is where you cook in a local restaurant a three course meal. The chef shows you what you need, how to cook it properly and what ingredients go best together when cooking. Then you take home the recipe cards… I am looking forward to this actually.

My lesson went really well today and I am coming away feeling like my students are learning a lot of new things that will be helpful to them in the future. My kids are so beautiful and they come to school every day really keen to learn and they really get into it… I am enjoying every moment of it. I have all these things that I want to plan for them but I only have less than 2 weeks to go and there just isn’t enough time to do it all… Haha also, I have trained all my kids to call me Kim… at the beginning, all the students call the teachers “teacher” and I decided that I didn’t want that, I wanted them to call me Kim, so every morning they all say “Hello Kim” J it is the highlight of my day when I walk into a classroom full of these happy children who are so excited to see me J


I wrote a letter to my students at my last prac school yesterday, because they are doing a unit on poverty and how they, as children, can help. I sent them some photos and a great letter describing my experiences and talking about the forms of poverty here… I think they will find it interesting and Anthony (my teacher) said the students were formulating questions for me to reply to. I can’t wait to go back and see them when I get back to Australia… how strange… hahaha! I don’t miss many people or things here but I do miss my classes from prac… big time!

Not much else to report, mainly relaxing tonight… going to Molly Malones for dinner (shepherd’s Pie – cant wait) and then to the mall to buy some more necessities and junk food. Then maybe a movie, more planning for tomorrow and bed…

Until tomorrow…
Kim xx

Middle of our Mural...

The left side of our mural...


Teaching :)


Not camera shy... what a cutie


More teaching...


Right side of our mural...

No comments:

Post a Comment