Friday, October 28, 2011

Day 25...

Today was frigging AMAZING… It was our last day at the school, the presentation and the official opening of the library. This morning we got to the school early and set up everything for the ceremony.

The kids were so excited, came to school with their hair done, clean uniforms and happy faces. I said our speech which was beautifully written by all of us. It was rather intimidating speaking in front of all of these official men and women. But it all went well… we then had to do our presentation with the kids… They were FANTASTIC!!! They did so well considering they had a very important audience. The military men also really enjoyed it and we even had them laughing at a few points in the presentation. I was so proud of my kids! I was smiling throughout the whole thing. Other than that… it was time to officially open the library and show some of the Military men for the first time. They were amazed and very very thankful! J We were so proud, the kids were proud and the centre was excited to have such an asset to the school.

On another note… it was time for everyone to say goodbye… So many cuddles, kids crying, ME crying, Karina crying… it was the hardest thing to do, say good bye to these beautiful students. I had children telling me they loved me and they wished I could stay… Girls bawling their eyes out… hiding in the corner. We got presents… a scarf, flowers, a bracelet. I couldn’t help but cry when saying goodbye… some kids saying “goodbye Kim, see you tomorrow”… (Because they didn’t know any better) L so sad… I just had to say yes because they couldn’t understand.

My favourite part was one of the military men asked me for my email address saying that they boys (when they know more English) really want to email me and keep in contact with me… My heart melted. I gave him my email, got his as well and I plan to email him regularly with photos I have taken while here and definitely making sure I keep in contact… for life!

We finally said goodbye, went for lunch and then left the centre for the very last time… We decided to fit in some quick sight seeing of one of the small country side temples with all the other people. It was beautiful, we took pictures and then went to get a Monk Blessing. I don’t know about anyone else but this was such a beautiful experience for me… I am not a religious person really but I went in to this blessing wishing all the things I could wish to change, fix and hope for. This monk blessed us with holy water, we prayed for strength and happiness and he chanted to … well not sure who… to take care of us, guide us, protect us and offer us love and happiness. Leaving the blessing I felt, I don’t know… free. I felt like a weight had lifted off my shoulders, I felt liberated and like I was ready for the next chapter of my life to begin… J

I am ready for happiness and love J bring it on I say!

Tonight is a big night for us… our goodbye dinner, our celebratory drinks and some good times. We are going out with Vannarith and Dayvy and we have been told that we will be getting drunk, drinking “a bucket” which is a shitload of alcohol and a small amount of soft drink… for $5…
Wow…
Anyway I will post again tomorrow (if I am able) hahaha
Until then
Kim xx


Blessing from the Monk

ready for my speech

Some of my kids

Some of the officials

No comments:

Post a Comment