Thursday, October 27, 2011

Day 24...

Day 24…
Well today was a massive day filled with a great deal of photos, sweating, setting up and practicing. As you know, we are doing our presentation to the whole of the Military centre and the students are so excited.

Firstly this morning we stopped at a few places to get some great photos of the country side and some families. We got some amazing photos and stopped at a local traditional country side hut and had a beautiful photo taken with the family who live there.

After this, we got to the centre and stopped to help the locals do some rice picking. It was amazing… all done by hand with some amazing killing machine like knives. It was some serious hard work and these people managed to do it from 7 am till like 3pm… it was insane. We gave it a good go but nothing like they do, they are quite speedy.

The morning was used to set up the library (thank god, we all thought we were going to be shovelling more sand)…Finally, it looks AMAZING… I am so proud of our efforts, the pictures don’t even give it justice.

During my class today, I handed out all the stuff donated by Smiggle and man, did the kids love it. They thought it was Christmas… they were so excited to smell the erasers and the pens and open everything, play with everything and plain and simple… have fun. So this is what we did… I gave them the stickers and we drew pictures using stencils and funky gel pens. I told them that all of these things will be placed in the library and thy can use them whenever they like… One student spoke to one of our guides in Khmer, who then translated to me that he said… “I wish Kim could stay here forever cause then I would stay here forever, I love to come to her classes everyday”. My heart melted on the spot and all I could think was how can I arrange to stay here forever..? I am going to be so upset tomorrow when it is our time to say goodbye… I’m not ready nor do I want to leave just yet…

We had a great time today and I can’t wait to have the students get up and be proud of what they have learnt with me… Tomorrow is the official opening of the library as well and this is going to be so exciting for the whole community. I looked at the finished library today and couldn’t help but be proud of us three Australian girls. We put so much thought, effort, money and hard work into this project and it truly is something that we should be so proud of… Woohoo go us!!
Anyway… I am wrecked so until tomorrow…
Kim xx
pretty picture... all the girls


Local family home

Rice picking with the locals

Greatest picture I think... what a cutie

Some of the finished library

Me preparing some pig food...
 
Country side photo

1 comment:

  1. Kimberley - Amazing stuff!!!! You should be so proud of yourself. What an experience you have had and what a fantastic teacher you are. It is teachers like you that we need - those who truly love the job. A very inspiring blog =)

    ReplyDelete