Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Day 8

Day 8…                                                                                                                               11th October, 2011

Today… just another day in Cambodia… Flooding, teaching, sickness and tiredness.
I woke up this morning feeling like death… But still powered on through the day, I don’t want to miss out on anything. Went to the school again… put on another coat of paint on the chairs and tables… They look fantastic now! We also planned out and began painting the mural on the back wall. Us three girls, getting super excited about our creations and developments for the school… Luckily we have Karina there to be the artist and give directions and pointers. It is starting to come along so nicely… I can’t wait for the end result…

Today, being a teacher in a 3rd world country and trying to create things, teach English and make some sort of difference to the children… I really felt the pressure. Being the first lot of teachers coming through, the expectations that have been put on us may be very unrealistic. Being a teacher in Australia and everything I have studied can not prepare you for the cultural difference and the language barrier we are facing at the moment. All three of us are feeling it. Although this is only day 2, and both my lessons have been amazing so far, the expectations are high and I am feeling the pressure. But… I am embracing the difference and am bringing as much joy to these kids as I possibly can.

Other than that… it is severely flooded here, knee deep at the moment and we were informed today that there is a Typhoon coming on Thursday morning…  GREAT…
So Thursday we will not be going to the school and will be bound to our hotel room I think. Lucky we went and bought a lot of snack foods yesterday! Tonight we are having another meal at the hotel… then upstairs to the sky bar for some Champaign and pampering for ladies night… Woohoo!!
I am really buggered and am hoping with some more sleep my sickness will subside along with the continuingly rising flood waters…
Still having the time of my life though J

Until tomorrow
Kim xx

Me doing my thing with the kids...

Me doing my thing.,.. again

Mural in progress

Some of the painted tables and chairs

No comments:

Post a Comment