Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Day Nine...

Day 9…                                                                                                                                   12th October, 2011

Another day in the flooded Cambodia… More painting more teaching. We got a bulk amount of the mural done today, now we just need to do the small/detailed parts and we are set…

There was suppose to be a Typhoon tomorrow morning but the water has subsided a little today and it doesn’t seem to be raining yet so I think we are in the clear… Hopefully.

Today’s teaching went really well, however, I went from having 55 kids to only having 10 today. The students had a large ceremony on this morning which meant they had no school and subsequently only a small handful of students came to our classes. But it was a good chance to have a little bit more fun and games and get to know the kids more.

At lunch today, although I am not complaining and I am enjoying eating different foods, today, I could not eat what was served up. I had a small bowl of rice and a little bit of soup… we were served up catfish and although I’m sure this would have been fine to eat, I could not bring myself to do it.

Also today the animal situation really got me down. Every day at lunch we go to one of the local village ladies huts where she cooks for us daily. Within Cambodia and the whole village there are dogs running around free everywhere… At this particular place there are 4 dogs constantly there but one, a small puppy, is so sick and needs some serious lovin’. Because of the malnutrition and the lack of clean water, attention, and basic needs of a dog, all of its fur has fallen out, its skin is peeling off because it is constantly scratching because of flees and god knows what else. It can’t bark properly because it isn’t healthy and it just sleeps all the time. I asked Vanarith what the dogs get fed and he replied by saying that they only get fed the scraps (if any – seeing as they need to feed their families and neighbours first). They never have clean water and they are never played with or patted… I was really feeling it today L

Other than that, we just got back from having dinner… $1 night tonight… all food and drinks are only $1. Needless to say we ordered a lot of food and drank as much alcoholic drinks as we could fit in our bodies.
All full and ready for bed now though…
Oh found out my interview for the State system is when I get back from Cambodia… SCARY but exciting…

Talk to you tomorrow…
Kim xxx
Mural in progress...still

The Gorgeous brothers

Some of my littlies

No comments:

Post a Comment